Friday, February 10, 2012

So, what really is feminism?



(This picture related to talking about "Feminazi" in class)

Feminism usually is initially thought of as women who are ‘overly emotional’ and angry at the world. Because after all, ONLY women can’t control their emotions and men just don’t have them…right? (Sarcasm font)

I guess if someone went up to me and asked me if I was a feminist I would say no. However, after really thinking and reading about what feminism is, I would have to say yes, I am a feminist. So where would I be today without feminism? Without the right to vote, reproductive rights, educational rights, vocational rights, and sexual rights. I think that feminism is really about individuals and us. It’s about everyone deserving equal rights and accepting people for who they are, not because of their sexual preference, appearance, or background. Feminism is more of an action than some sort of fixed identity, and I absolutely agree. Being a feminist is more about what you are doing than who you are, even if all you’re doing is making changes in your own life and your own actions and beliefs. I don’t see it as being about being considered equal to men. If we just focus on being equal to men then we’re missing the point.

Now I’m not an expert on this subject or anything, I’m just saying how moved I am from learning more about feminism and what I think it TRULY stands for, its so inspirational!!!

2 comments:

  1. I would have to agree with you, if someone came up to me and asked if I was a feminist, I would say no. I think that’s because being a ‘feminist’ has such a negative connotation, which I think is due to the lack of education about feminism. Because according to many people, if you were a feminist that means that you were only for GIRL POWER, down with men, very emotional (all the time), and only women for everything all time. But the truth in being a feminist, like you wrote, is fighting for the right to vote, reproductive rights, educational rights, vocational rights, and sexual rights. Feminism actually set the groundwork for many other cultural movements, which I am very thankful for. Without the work of feminists our world would be so drastically different. After our class discussion about it, my views on feminism truly changed and I learned about its true meaning. Like, you said it’s very inspirational to think about what people fought for in order to change not only their own lives, but the lives of future generations. So, now if someone came over and asked me if I was, I would say, “Heck yes I am! And I’m proud to be a feminist!’

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome discussion, y'all!I really like Jess's point that "Feminism is more of an action than some sort of fixed identity" -- it's more about social justice for all kinds of people, and that means doing work and moving through the world in a way that includes as many people as possible and requires one to constantly unpack one's own bias(es).

    ReplyDelete